Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Tasty Tuesday

A few days ago I made this Cheesy Chicken Lasagna recipe. Once again I forgot to note where I got it from... and to take pictures. I had planned to add a layer of spinach or broccoli slaw but forgot as we were running late. What caught my eye was using Uncle Dan's dip mix.

When I was in High School I attended Leadership week and Dan was one of our speakers. He arrived in a "10 gallon" hat that had a crown that stood 3' off his head, and he is only about 5' tall. He gave a speech about being able to do the impossible, and then took a huge Russet potato and a paper straw and showed us that with persistence, and several straws, you could pierce the potato. Great visual for his lecture.

Anyway, because of that I purchase his mixes when I need something along those lines. So the combo of evaporated milk and Uncle Dan's mix made this recipe interesting. I also used ground turkey rather than cubed chicken. After eating it, Chris's input was for a tomato base sauce. The result, not bad, a bit salty in my book so the next time these are the changes I'll try:
  • Changing out the liquid base a bit - maybe 1 cup each of cream and evaporated milk.
  • Add tomatoes, which means I'll have to reduce the sauce a bit.
  • Sauté the meet with the Uncle Dan's to get the flavor really in the meat, specially turkey...
  • Add a layer of spinach or broccoli slaw.
  • Make extra and freeze it.

Cheesy Chicken Lasagna

2 cans (12 oz) evaporated milk
1 (1 oz) pkg. dry Ranch dressing mix
3 C. cubed, cooked, chicken
1/8 tsp pepper
1 (16oz) lasagna noodles, cooked
1 1/2 C cheddar cheese, grated
1 1/2 C mozzarella cheese, grated

I usually cook the chicken and noodles first at the same time. Once noodles are done--rinse in cold water and set aside (it keeps them from sticking together).
Combine evaporated milk (don't use fat-free version) and Ranch dressing in a 3 quart heavy saucepan. Heat over low heat, stirring frequently until dry ingredients are dissolved.
Stir in chicken and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes (don't do any less), stirring frequently.
Layer half of lasagna noodles, poultry sauce, and cheese in well-buttered 9x13 pan. Repeat layers again.
Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Let rest 10 minutes before serving. VERY IMPORTANT as this needs to set up before cutting.

Let me know how your results turn out.

I'm also posting this blog over at Balancing beauty and bedlam's Tasty Tuesday Parade of Foods.

No comments: