Monday, May 25, 2009

Beer battered salmon

Here's a picture of last nights dinner... still working on cooking the tater tots perfectly. The fish came out great, very filling with the batter, I made 1 frozen steak for each of us, cut into 3 pieces each, more than enough. Here's the recipe, I added the Old bay seasoning because the original recipe was a bit bland in my opinion and Chris doesn't go for "spice". I'm also trying an experiment with the leftover batter, I've frozen it and I'll defrost it to see if it works the second time around. My fillets weren't skinned and it was too much trouble to skin them, but it didn't affect the taste or texture. Side dishes were left over grilled asparagus and a salad made with parsley, red onion and cucumber dressed with olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper.

BEER BATTER FRIED FISH
1 egg
1 c. warm stale beer – note you will need more if the batter is too thick
1 1/8 tsp. baking powder
1 c. flour
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. Old bay seasoning
2 tsp. granulated sugar
3/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. garlic salt
Fish fillets

Mix all ingredients.
Wash and dry fish (pat with towel).
Cut fillets to desired size.
Heat 2 inches of cooking oil in pan.
Dip fish pieces in batter; fry briefly in hot oil turning as necessary.
Adjust the batter ingredients as needed so it doesn't get too thick or too thin.

No comments: